How to Reuse and Recycle Your Old Wellies
Give your old wellies some love!
Children seem to outgrow shoes quickly or wear them out being adventurous. Instead of throwing them away (a big no-no), why not try some of these recycling ideas and help reduce our impact on the environment.
Welly Plant Pots
A really simple and fun way to jazz up the garden is to make plant pots with your old wellies. Not only do they look unique, but they will add some colour. Here is how to make your own:
- Give the wellies a quick wash using warm soapy water.
- Drill a few small holes in the sole of the boot (ask an adult to help). This will allow any water to drain out of them.
- Fill the bottom of the boot with some pebbles. This will help to drain the water and act as a weight in case of blustery weather.
- Add in some compost, making sure it reaches all the way to the bottom. Leave about a 2” gap at the top, this is where the seeds/flowers will go.
- Now you are ready to plant your seeds or plants. Once planted, fill the rest of the welly boot with compost and water.
Impress everyone who comes to visit with these cute welly birdhouses. All you need is a pair of old wellies, a sharp knife, a few bits of wood, screws and bolts. Ask an adult to cut out a bird-sized hole in the middle of the boots. Then make a small hole under the larger one to attach the screw and bolt, this will act as a stand for the birds. Next, add the wood to the top to make a roof. Remember to put the birdhouse somewhere safe in the garden and keep an eye out for any new visitors.
Welly Garden ShoesYou can turn old wellies into garden shoes (or clogs). Snip off the top part of the shoe, and ta-dah, you have garden shoes. You may need to use a sharp object for this, so always ask an adult to help.
Donate Your Wellies
If you have outgrown your wellies, why not donate them to your local charity shop and give them a second life. Make sure they are in good condition, with no holes. And with your old wellies now repurposed, you might be in need of a new pair. Check out all our different prints, colour changing technology, styles, and colours here.
Click here to download our handy guide.